BIM and Digitalisation (Europe)
The aim of this committee, which is in close liaison to DFI’s Information Management Systems committee, is to promote digitalisation and BIM (Building Information Modeling) processes within the European membership and the wider geotechnical industry in Europe and DFI worldwide.
The committee will discuss and develop guidance in the application of digital data and process to ground engineering. This shall include considering the following areas/actions:
- Explain the process of digital data and its role in BIM through the project life cycle.
- Identify standards and guidance from across Europe regarding the application of BIM to the geotechnical aspects of projects.
- Encourage standardisation of data formats between countries and organisations to facilitate coordination.
- Provide guidance on how best to adopt BIM within geotechnical projects.
- Identify challenges and opportunities faced by digitalisation.
- Work with other organisations who are developing tools and protocols for the geotechnical industry to ensure these tools are practical, beneficial and compatible across other practices.
- Compare with other parts of the world as a benchmark for the industry.
48th Annual Conference on Deep Foundations
October 31 – November 3, 2023 – Seattle, Washington
DFI Midyear Committee Meetings 2023
April 17-21, 2023
Conference on Foundation Decarbonization and Re-use
March 21-23, 2023 – Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Healthy Construction Headspace
February 16, 2023 – New York City
Preconference Digitalisation Workshop | DFI-EFFC Conference on Deep Foundations & Ground Improvement
This workshop on Digitalisation and Project Information Management (PIM) in Geotechnical Construction featured a mixture of interactive synchronous presentations, panel discussions, Q&A with presenters and audience, and networking opportunities over an instructive afternoon dedicated to the state of practice and advancements in digitalization for subsurface constructions.
Our experienced lecturers and active researchers discussed topics such as digital leadership in geotechnical engineering, digital strategies and data implementation in construction processes, digital software and innovative tools for data management and digital procurement, among others, and shared from their experience and track record by providing a national perspectives, recent advancements, and leading case studies from all around Europe.
Contents of this video
0:07 Digitalisation in Foundation Engineering and Geotechnical Construction
13:24 Digitalisation and Visualizations of Data for Foundation Contractors
34:34 Breaking Down Data Silos to Enable Data Analytics to See the Big Picture
01:05:00 Getting the Right Mindset for Data Management
01:40:23 Digital Transformation: Machine Learning and Ground Modelling – From GIM to BIM
2:14:44 DFI Foundation Information Management System Specifications